2012-03-06

Alcoholism

During my relatively short time I've lived here on planet Earth so far, I've learned that life is full of double-edged swords. These edges of a sword represent pain and pleasure, and moderation is the skill required in order to wield the sword in order to get the most pleasure for the least amount of pain.


One such sword is alcohol. How I'd define alcohol in my own words, I guess, would be that the use of alcohol has either already turned your life to utter hell, or it will do so eventually.

I don't know if there can (or should) be a rigid rate of times drunk within a certain period of time used to define alcoholism. Regardless, I have unconsciously formed my own personal limits in this matter, and I sometimes wonder if other people's personal limits are similar.

If a person drinks in excess (by that I mean exceeding about 2 drinks in one day for men or 1 drink per day for women depending on body chemistry), once a month or less, I'd say (s)he is probably not an alcoholic.

Once a week is where I start saying that a habit is formed. That person should be especially careful to monitor the status of his relationships and how they are affected by alcohol consumption.

More than once a week, the person is probably an alcoholic.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I noticed this was your last post, have you been passed out the past 4 years?